Chad Wood Memorial Scholarship
The news of Chad Wood's sudden and unexpected death on Monday morning, May 9, 2005 has taken the breath away from all of our members. Chad was a fine student, a superb athlete who starred on the Belleville East Lancers football and baseball teams, and, most important, was a devoted and loving son to his parents, Penny and Ray Wood, and a wonderful brother to his three siblings, Jennifer, Gretchen and Robert. As everyone knows, Ray was our Charter President when the Rotary Club of Swansea was formed in 2002 and has been a faithful and hardworking member ever since. His dear wife Penny has been a wonderful friend and supporter of the club and its activities. Their heartbreak and sorrow at the loss of their son will, we hope, be mitigated by the knowledge that Chad was held in such high esteem by his peers, his teachers, his teammates and coaches, those who competed against him in football and baseball, and indeed by everyone who was privileged to meet him. This was evident by the huge numbers of mourners at the visitation at St. Paul's United Church of Christ on May 13 and at the funeral the following day, and, as well, from the outpouring of gracious and heartfelt comments to the family found in the Guest Book feature of the Obituary section located on the web at www.belleville.com.
At its meeting on May 12, 2005, the Board of Directors unanimously voted to donate $1,000 to the Belleville East High School Athletic Department in Chad's memory.
In addition, the Board unanimously approved a motion by Director Brent Wilhelm to designate our scholarship program, funded by the 5K Run each June, as the Chad Wood Memorial Scholarship Fund. We hope that these actions will perpetuate Chad's memory and commemorate the wonderful gifts he shared with us and the many lives he touched in his all too limited time with us. We mourn with the Wood family in their loss and at the same time are certain that they are secure in the knowledge that Chad has gone on to a place of comfort, light and eternal peace.
To apply for the Chad Wood Memorial Scholarship, please contact Ruth Ann Erdmann.
- 2023 Recipients: Lani Culley (Belleville East High School), Nolan Seneczyn (Belleville East High School), and Olivia Pereda (Belleville East High School)
- 2022 Recipients: Allison Zaiz (Belleville West High School), Mia Eschman (Belleville East High School), and Lillian E. Mentzer (Belleville East High School)
- 2021 Recipients: Zachary Bilzing (Belleville West High School) and Vinhhy Pham (Belleville East High School)
- 2020 Recipients: Abigail Lanter-graduate of Althoff Catholic HS (St Teresa grade school) Jackson Tyler -graduate of Belleville East HS ( Wolf Branch ) and Tyler Thompson -graduate of Belleville East HS (Wolf Branch)
- 2019 Recipients: Olivia Melichar, graduate of Althoff Catholic High School; Allison Dyer, graduate of Belleville East High School; and Erin Kelley, graduate of Belleville East High School
- 2018 Recipients: Katherine Tegtmeier (Belleville East), Valentia Kimbrough (Althoff Catholic HS), Megan Zaiz (Belleville West)
- 2017 recipients: Clare LeBlance (Belleville East) Kailyn Goodrich (Belleville West)
Elizabeth Fries (Althoff)
- 2016 Recipients: Hannah Geppert (Belleville East) and Scott Semko (Althoff Catholic HS)
- 2015 Recipients: Connor Henrichs (Belleville East) Mary Lawder (Althoff) Danielle Miller (Belleville West)
- 2014 Recipients: Mariah Christ (Belleville East) and Scott Nowak (Althoff)
- 2013 Recipients: Rebecca Cole (Belleville West) and Emily Dahm (East)
- 2012 Recipients: Caitlin Douglas (East) and Jerry Novak (Althoff)
- 2011 Recipients: Emily Kurrelmeyer (East) and Andrew Greene (Althoff)